Title image

Instow

Instow town planInstow town plan from 1913

Instow was a hamlet born in 1914 with the building of the railroad through southwestern Saskatchewan. It was named after a small town in England, which was home to Mr. C. Herbert, who handled the mail for the upstart Canadian community.

The hamlet was situated 11 kilometres west of Scotsguard, and grew to 60 citizens by 1923. It had two general stores, one restaurant, a bank, one livery and feed barn, a lumberyard, one hall, an implement agency, a post office, a garage, a telephone office, a blacksmith shop, four grain elevators and a poolroom.

After Instow was granted village status in 1923, sidewalks were put in, streetlights installed and a well was built. The new village also had a fire engine, a skating rink, a ball diamond and a seven-metre snowslide for winter sports.