The schoolhouse©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
The first settlers who arrived in the area had to undertake a gruelling steamboat journey from the foot of Lake Temiskaming to the new 'Wabi Settlement', known today as New Liskeard. From this point on settlers boarded smaller boats or scows and travelled 10 kilometres up Wabi Creek to a bend on the Harley-Dymond Township line. The first pioneers who arrived in the area were the Hebert Taylor family in 1895. Another early pioneer was Richard Parker who arrived in 1897 from Durham County. Parker had established a homestead just west of the small landing from where his family had disembarked.
In 1899 the first Methodist services were conducted from the Parker's home. By 1901 a small rural settlement had begun to take shape. Settlers were still pouring in through the settlement on their way to colonize Kerns and Hudson townships located directly to the west. To accommodate the needs of the new residents, a general store opened and a Methodist Church was built. A post office opened that same year and took the colourful name of Uno Park. A public school, Dymond S.S. No. 4, opened the following year.
In 1903 the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway had reached New Liskeard, uncovering the Cobalt silver fields along the way. The new mining boom forced the line to push farther north and opened up the district for settlement. In 1905 the line had reached Uno Park and crossed the Parker's homestead. The T&NO purchased the land and established a station, siding, freight shed and section house for maintenance and established a town site between the new railway line and Wabi Creek.
The railway's arrival led to an unparalled boom in the area. Within five short years, the village had grown by leaps and bounds. By 1910 the community had added a cheese factory, a Baptist Church, Saint-Michel Catholic Church, and J.T.Welbourn's general store, which by 1919, also housed the post office. By this time the Uno Park area contained nearly 200 residents. A cattle chute and stock yards were established, adjacent to the railway, which had a great impact in the development of the sheep and cattle industry in the area.
At the end of the decade the residents of Uno Park were sure that their community would grow and prosper. However in 1922 the Great Fire swept the area and dealt a severe blow to the community. All that was left were ashes and a few buildings. Many residents left the area and Uno Park never fully recovered. Although a small hamlet had re-emerged, over the remaining decades Uno Park dwindled to become a mere rural area. By the late 1950's many had left their farms and the area was in serious decline. The school, church, and the store closed. In 1961 Uno Park's last institution, the post office, closed for good after 60 years of faithful service, and replaced with a rural route.
Today all that remain of the settlement are three original structures, nearby the siding. The school is now a shed, and the last church, also stands empty. Nearer to the landing, two of the last 'village' home remains. The rest of the town site has now reverted to pasture land. The site is situated 6 kilometres west of Hwy 11 on Uno Park Rd.
The name of the community is attributed to the Parker family: "Do yoU kNOw PARKer of Uno Park?" (Old South Temiskaming saying).