The schoolhouse©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Seguin Falls was featured in a 1960s Toronto newspaper article as a "ghost town worth visiting." Not much has changed.
Seguin Falls started out as a tiny village on the Nipissing Road. In its early days it was both a camp and stopover town, where weary stage travellers could disembark for a meal and overnight rest at Burk's Hotel. Following the arrival of the Canada Atlantic Railway (CAR later CN) 25 years later, Seguin Falls' businesses relocated 2 kilometres south in order to be closer to the rail line and station and a new Seguin Falls was born.
Ahe saw and shingle mill provided employment for the village's workers as the village continued to grow, adding two stores, a post office, a church, the brick school and the King George Hotel. A number of attractive homes were built on the south end of the road and a group of worker's cabins were built on top of the hill.
Then a couple of things happened to irrevocably reverse Seguin Falls' fortunes. First the mill shut down and then in 1933 an ice floe destroyed a railway trestle in Algonquin Park, ending through service on the CAR line. The post office and railway were both shut down forever in the 1950s. By the time the 1960s rolled around, almost every building in town was vacant. Today, a few people continue to live in Seguin Falls on a seasonal basis. Fans of the old 1960s television show The Beverly Hillbillies would appreciate the ambiance of the old village.