In 1908 prospectors were rushing to Matachewan for silver. A small freighting settlement sprung up at a six-kilometre portage on the Montreal River about four kilometres east of present day Matachewan. The little settlement contained the ragged little offices of freighting companies which operated along the Fox, Long, and Flat Rapids on route from Elk Lake.
John Moyneur opened a stopping place, better known as a log hotel, and the hamlet counted a restaurant and postal counter. For nearly six years the little settlement of a dozen buildings catered to the mining boom. The camp failed and the freighting stations disappeared. Mining began yet again in the 1930's, but this time gold was the mineral of choice. Just before the boom however, Moyneur moved his hotel to the newly surveyed Matachewan town site. He went on to open a post office in town and ride the new wave of prosperity. While Matachewan boomed a second time, Fox Rapids, was by then a distant memory.