masthead image

Florida

History

Along the National Transcontinental Railway (later CN), north of Brower Station, a short colonization road was built to access the newly surveyed township of Kennedy. The township had been populated as early as 1916 when a few French Canadian families established five farmsteads. In 1921 there were only 20 residents. However, during the remaining decade a few other French and Russian families arrived and nearly 20 farms were established along two intersecting concession roads.

The settlement established a school section, and soon afterwards erected a school house. A post office, opened in 1927 by Mrs Olive Lamothe, bore the name of Florida - perhaps a sign of wishful thinking. The post office briefly closed from 1931 until 1936 when Charles Herbert Cadman reopened the office.

By 1931, 87 residents were living in the township. A decade latter the figure had risen to 96, however farming was gradually abandoned. The post office closed in 1942. During the 1950's many had turned to lumbering or commuted into Cochrane for employment. A few found jobs with the Canadian National Railways.

In 1971, there was still a small, proud population of 70 residents. However, most of the residents left within a single decade. By the 1980's a bare handful remained. Today two farmsteads are still used as homes although their pastures have been recently abandoned. There are less than 20 residents within the entire township today.