An abandoned building in Drum©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Drum was a small post office in Manvers Township that thrived from the 1870s to 1880s. Very little is known about this small community. The hamlet was located on Concession 2 in the area roughly bounded by Lots 4 to 7. At its height it boasted a population of around 50.
A log schoolhouse was built sometime before 1868 on Lot 6. The school burnt down two years later and was replaced by a frame building, located on the same site. The property was owned by S. McCabe and also included an Orange Hall just east of the school. Since there was no church in Drum, the school was used for Methodist services every Sunday.
In 1870 Isabella Harrison opened a post office in her general store which was located on Lot 5. Mail was delivered twice weekly by stage from Ballyduff. In 1875 William Coulter took over the property and post office. It is not known if he also took over the general store, but there is no record of the store being in business during the 1880s. The post office was taken over by George Coulter in 1884 and closed in 1888.
Other residents in Drum included James Miller, Jamed Delahay, James McRoberts, James and Hugh Byers, Richard Woodley, James Cowan and John Scott. The Canada Company owned property two and half lots north of the McCabe lot, where interestingly a second Orange Lodge was located.
The school saw some maintenance over the years. In 1934 it was covered with tin siding. Early teachers included M. Haines, Robert Clarke, Ada Fair and Jennie Armstrong. Teachers rarely stayed more than a year and some only lasted about six months. The last teacher was Mrs. Vaneta Preston, who taught from 1958 until 1964, when the school was closed. Nothing remains of this small community however the area is well populated by rural dwellers.