Burton's main street©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Burton was a tiny little post office and hamlet that bordered on the township line between Manvers and Cartwright. Although the population was never large, Burton managed to support a surprising number of services, given its small size.
James McGill opened the first post office in his general store in 1861. The post office and store were located on the Manvers side on Lot 1, Concession 6. In the early days McGill also ran a blacksmith shop, however by the late 1860s, the shop had been taken over by James Neal.
Burton's population seesawed up and down. In the 1860s it was listed at 30. By the 1880s it was down to 15. Nevertheless, the store and blacksmith shop remained in operation for a number of years. By 1884 McGill had even added a hotel. Mail was delivered to the general store daily by stage from Bethany. Burton was known to have had a school and a Presbyterian Church. Unfortunately little information is available on either of those institutions. An Orange Hall was located on lots 28 and 29, Concession 4, on property owned by Robert McQuaid on the Cartwright side. There was also a lumber and shingle mill in the area.
Burton's residents included James Fowler, George Shackelton, James and David Ferguson, William Heron and James Gray on the Manvers side. Residents on the Cartwright side included James Hall, William Wendell, John Hughes and James McKee. The village's population averaged around 50 but peaked at around 100 in the early part of the 20th century.
In 1893 Alex Stalker took over the general store and post office. The post office was closed in 1914 with the arrival of rural mail delivery. The store however remained open for a number of years after that. Later owners included Cecil Stalker and Cecil Ferguson.
Today nothing remains of the early town site but the area remains populated by rural dwellers and a number of very attractive homes.