The Baptist church©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Williscroft was a farming hamlet, located in Bruce County, first settled around 1850. By 1856 it had a post office, followed by a school in 1858. The village quickly grew to include a blacksmith shop, a store, two coopers, a door and sash building business, and saw and grist mills. A Baptist church was added in 1875. Both the school and church were later replaced by sturdier brick buildings.
Later industries in Williscroft included a cheese factory and woodworking and carriage shops. Farm based organizations, which took hold during the 1880s, led to the construction of a large Grange Hall, also used as a community and social centre, and later as an Orange Lodge.
By the mid 20th century, it was clear Williscroft was beginning to slip. The trend towards larger farms, changing transportation patterns, and movement towards larger centres were all contributing factors. The school closed in 1958, followed by the church in 1960.
A number of original structures can still be found in Williscroft. These include the school, now a private home, the church, derelict and forelorn, apparently being used for storage and the old blacksmith shop. In 1987, the Williscroft Womens' Institute dedicated a cairn to this once busy little hamlet.