The only home left in Victoria Mines©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Victoria Mines was built in 1900 by the Mond Nickel Company as a separate town site to house their smelting facilities. As soon as it was opened there was a post office and two schools, public and separate. A CPR railway station was added in 1904.
Victoria Mines quickly grew to become a full service town site. Its population varied from 300 to 600 people. The community included three boarding houses, an apartment building, and 50 private dwellings. Commercial businesses included three general stores, a butcher shop, barber shop, bake shops, and a bowling alley. There were three churches, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Anglican. Law-breakers were quickly dealt with by either the sheriff and constable, both of whom were stationed on site. There was also a jail in case things really got really rowdy.
By 1911 output from the Garson Mine was far exceeding that from the Mond Mine. As a cost saving measure, it was decided that it would be more economical to move the smelter closer to the Garson Mine.
By 1913, the smelter at Victoria Mines was closed and all the equipment, and many of the buildings from the Victoria Mines town site, were moved to a new site at Coniston. The public school closed in 1914 and students were relocated to the school in Mond. The separate school remained open a few years longer.
Today almost nothing remains of the original town site. A company home and the separate school are still standing.