The schoolhouse©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
Uno park, located in the Temiskaming District, was first settled in the late 1890s. By 1901 a general store and post office were opened. These were followed the next year by a school.
In 1905, the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (now Ontario Northland Railway) had reached the Uno Park area. They established a station, siding, freight shed, section house, and town site. Once railway access was in place, Uno Park began to boom.
By 1910 Uno Park had added two churches, Baptist and Roman Catholic, and a cheese factory. The railway area was expanded to include a cattle chute and stock yards. By the early 1920s, Uno Park boasted a population of around 200 and was well on its way to becoming a prominent community.
Uno Park was one of several communities hit hard by the devastating forest fire of 1922. The fire, which wiped out a number of communities in the area, dealt a severe blow to the hamlet. Although a few buildings were left standing, many residents left the area shortly after. Uno Park never recovered.
Today Uno Park continues to support a small population. Three original structures still stand near the railway siding. The school is now used as a shed and the church stands empty. Two original village homes remain occupied. The remainder of the area has reverted to farmland.