The Orange Lodge©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Uffington, settled in the 1860s, was a once busy agricultural and lumbering centre. Located in Muskoka, Uffington was well placed to take advantage of the burgeoning lumber industry during the latter part of the 19th century.
By 1864 Uffington had a post office, followed a few years later by a school and an hotel. A sawmill, opened in 1871, attracted more business and Uffington began to boom. A flour mill was added in the 1880s.
At its height, Uffington boasted a population of about 120. It included three general stores, two hotels, two carpenters and shoemakers, a blacksmith shop and a butcher. There were three churches, Anglican, Methodist, and Presbyterian. In later years the Methodist church was converted to an Orange Hall.
Uffington continued to thrive while the sawmill was operating, but once the lumber supply was depleted, decline set in. Farming opportunities were marginal due the short growing season.
Today Uffington remains in a suspended state of semi-abandonment. The hamlet continues to support a small number of residents but there no businesses left to speak of. A number of the old structures still stand. The Anglican church still holds periodic services.