A small pioneer cemetery©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Stirton was a small milling hamlet located in Wellington County, settled in the early 1860s. By 1863 it had a post office. A school was opened a few years earlier, in 1854. Stage coach service to other nearby villages such as Hollen began in 1866.
By the early 1870s, Stirton was established as a prosperous mill town with a population of around 150. It included both saw and flax mills and also a tannery. The mills were employing about 50 to 60 hands and Stirton grew rapidly.
Commercial services included wagon and blacksmith shops, a hotel, a shoemaker, and cabinet maker. A Methodist church and parsonage were added during the 1880s.
Stirton was one of many prosperous little industrial hamlets that suffered from lack of railway access. When the railway arrived, nearby Drayton was chosen instead. Stirton's businesses could not compete and the hamlet slowly faded away.
Very little remains of this small community. During the late 1950s, much of the original mill site was flooded with the opening of the Conestoga Dam. Today three original homes and the remains of a small cemetery are all that can be found