The Spry Community Hall©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Spry, located on the Bruce Peninsula, began in the mid 1870s, as a small farming and sawmill hamlet. By the late 1870s, it contained a school and post office. Uppermost on the council's minds was the purchase of land for a town cemetery, which was authorized in 1880.
By the mid 1880s, Spry boasted a population of about 160. At its height it contained a hotel, store, shoemaker, and a blacksmith shop. There were also a couple of small sawmills and lumber dealers operatiing in the area. An Orange Lodge was formed in 1882, followed by a multi-denominational Union Church. By the 1890s Spry was affiliated with the "Patrons of Industry" branch in Ferndale, organized by Duncan Marshall of Gillies Hill.
Spry began to decline in the early part of the 20th century. In the 1920s many of the businesses began to close down. By then Spry's population had dwindled to about 50. A few institutions continued on for awhile. The Orange Lodge was leased to the Women's Institute and used regularly as a community hall. The church was used on and off until about 1970.
When last seen, Spry still contained a few small remnants of its former self. The school house and Orange Hall were still standing. The church had been renovated and was in use as a private home. Spry still continues to support a small number of rural dwellers.