Earlier town site©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
Redwater began as a small section village on the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (later ONR) around 1905. The settlement contained little more than a small station, telegraph key, bunkhouse, and a few other railway structures. A tragic event took place in 1909 when telegraph operator W.J. Dyston died after being beaten by two section men.
By the mid teens Redwater was home to a lumber mill and small settlement along the tracks. The town site included a bunkhouse, 10 homes, and later a company store and post office.
Although the mill closed before 1929, a handful of families remained in this remote area until the 1950s. By the late 50s, the community was completely abandoned.
In the 1960s, Redwater found new life as a seasonal vacation site for cottagers. Little remains of the early village other than a number of cellar holes.