Tombstone in the Perm Cemetery©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Perm was a small community located in Dufferin County, first settled in the 1830s. Following construction of a township hall in the 1850s, it quickly grew to become an important township centre where council meetings were held and bylaws were established.
Perm was never large nor did it have a lot of commercial activity. There was a store, post office, and blacksmith. Later on shingle and saw mills were added. There was also an Orange Lodge, Methodist church with a cemetery, and two schools.
Despite its importance in the early days, very little of Perm has survived. The church was demolished in 1925 following church union. The site is marked by an historical plaque where remnants of the foundation can still be found. The cemetery is well maintained. One of the schools was destroyed by fire. The other still stands and is now a private home.