masthead image

Orchardville

Introduction

Town site photo

The attractive bow string bridge

©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko

Orchardville, located in Grey County, began as a small stopping place with a public house during the 1840s. A post office was opened in the mid 1850s, followed by a town plan and a mill.

The community grew quickly. At its height Orchardville was home to several mills, a cooperage, two general stores and two hotels, along with a number of trades such as blacksmiths and carpenters. The community also included a school and three churches.

Orchardville began to decline around the beginning of the 20th century. The post office lasted until 1918. although a number of people continue to live in Orchardville, it exists as a mere shadow of its former self. An attractive bow string bridge still crosses the mill stream. One mill has been extensively renovated and is now a private home. Very little else remains of the original town site.