A derelict truck©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Nicholson, located in Algoma Region, was a busy lumber mill community started by the Austin-Nicholson Lumber Company in 1898. The company had a lucrative contract with the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) to produce lumber ties and needed a large site and extensive manpower to fulfill their commitments.
In 1911 the site was expanded. In addition to the expansive milling facilities, the town site included a general store, post office, bunkhouse and cookery, a school and an Anglican church.
The mill was a busy operation and the town site grew in leaps and bounds. At its height, there were about 360 permanent residents. Things were scaled back somewhat with the opening of a new mill at Dalton Mills in 1921.
In 1933, the mill was struck by fire. Rather than rebuilding, the company shifted production to the newer mill at Dalton Mills. Most of the residents left, apart from a handful that remained until the mid 50s. By the mid 60s the town site was empty except for a small summer population.
In the early 70s the government produced a report that recommended preserving the community as an historical site. It didn't happen and tragically a large portion of Nicholson was destroyed by fire a few years later.
Today Nicholson continues to support a small summer population. The site contains an extensive amount of ruins and foundations.