The pioneer cemetery©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Newbridge, located in Huron County, began as a small milling community around 1854. Originally known as "Spenceton," the hamlet's name was changed to Newbridge when the post office was opened in 1864.
At its height Newbridge boasted a population of about 200 people. It was a busy industrial community that contained two sawmills, a brickworks, cheese manufacturer, and a tannery. Commercial ventures included a store, two hotels, and a blacksmith shop. There were numerous tradesmen such as a wagonmaker, tailor, two shoemakers, and two carpenters. To round things out, the community included a Methodist church, school, and an Orange Lodge.
Newbridge, like many other thriving industrial communities, fell victim to the railways. For whatever reason, Newbridge was bypassed for rail service, and its businesses slowly began to languish. Although the mills continued to operate into the 20th century, Newbridge was clearly on the decline.
In 1922, Newbridge was hit by a devastating fire, which destroyed the mills and many of the town's businesses. After that, Newbridge was finished.
A small handful of people continue to call Newbridge home. A few of the older buildings still stand. These include the church, which is now a private home, the schoolhouse, which is used for storage on a nearby farm, and the Orange Hall. The remainder of the area has now reverted to farmland.