The Mount Healy Cemetery©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Mount Healy, located in Haldimand County, was a small mill community established in the 1830s. The settlement began with the construction of saw and grist mills. It was later expanded to include a plaster mill.
The mills were badly needed and were an instant success. Power was drawn from the dam owned by the Grand River Navigation Company. The Grand River Canal also served as an adjacent shipping route.
A small town site was constructed for the mill hands and employees. It included a post office, school, Presbyterian church, blacksmith shop, distillery and store. The distillery had relocated from nearby Indiana which had fallen on hard times. There was also an expansive hotel, known as the Mount Healy Hotel.
Although the Grand River Canal was closed in 1871, the mills remained prosperous until the beginning of the 20th century. Today all that remains of Mount Healy are the hotel, one of the worker's homes, and the cemetery.