A foundation©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Mond was a mining community, named for Ludwig Mond, the German born scientist who discovered a new method of refining nickel. Unable to attract any interest in his discovery, he decided to set up shop on his own.
In 1899 Mond purchased a parcel of land west of Sudbury and by 1901 the mine was operational. The smelter was located in Victoria Mines, a second town site about 4 1/2 kilometres south. The mining property consisted of a number of shops and facilities.
At its height the Mond town site was home to about 500 residents. It included two stores, one of which had an ice cream parlour, two halls, a post office and school, which was also used for church services. The residents were active in a variety of sports that included tennis, high jumping, boxing, stating, baseball and gymnastics.
Housing came in the form of four boarding houses for singles and small log or frame houses for families. Many residents owned their buildings and leased the land from the company. Services were still scarce in those early days. There was no electricity or running water, however all homes had wells and outhouses.
The Mond Mine was closed in 1922 due to safety concerns. Many of the residents moved on to other Mond properties such as Worthington, and the Frood Mine. Today very little is left at Mond other than foundations and debris.