masthead image

Malone

Introduction

Town site photo

The main road

©Copyright: Susan Foster

Malone, located in Hastings County, was first settled around 1855. Originally known as Powell's Mills, it began as a small milling community. Its name was changed with the opening of a post office in 1863. By 1869, Malone had grown to a hamlet of about 60. It had a grist mill, a store, a Methodist church, a school, and a tavern.

Things changed quickly following the infamous Eldorado gold rush that began in 1866. Although the Eldorado rush turned out to be a complete bust, prospectors weren't ready to admit defeat. After small gold deposits were discovered in Malone, the race was on once again.

By 1871 at least two gold strikes were recorded in Malone. The population suddenly exploded to about 300. The gold deposits proved to be similar to those in Eldorado and the mines failed as quickly as they started.

Things settled down in the 1880s. By then Malone's population stabilized at around 100. The 1890s once again brought another attack of gold fever. This time the mines had better luck. The Sovereign Mine was a small but steady producer that lasted into the early teens.

Malone began to decline after the mines closed and the lumber supplies became depleted. Today a few buildings and a number of old relics can still be found.