Historical monument©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Lovat was a small community located in Bruce County, first settled in the 1850s. It thrived during the late 1800s as a small milling and industrial centre.
At its height, Lovat contained a busy sawmill, a brick yard, two stores, two hotels, a post office, a school and the usual blacksmiths, carpenters and other trades people. A large cemetery was opened around 1854.
Lovat began to decline after the sawmill closed in the 1930s. The hotels and other businesses soon followed suit. Much of the original town plan was obliterated due to later road realignments.
Today all that remains of Lovat is a small memorial cairn, the schoolhouse, now a private home, and the extensive cemetery which remains in use.