Well at a former home©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
Kormak was a small lumbering settlement located in northeasten Ontario, about 35 kilometres east of Charleau. The community established in 1942 when the Kormak Lumber Company was formed.
Accommodations were very limited in Kormak. The company began with a bunkhouse and cookery for single workers. A number of workers with families built their own homes. The company followed suit by building a few additional homes. They then added a large company store, school and post office. The CPR added a large flag station in 1949.During the 50s and 60s, a few mobile homes were added. At its height the community contained about 166 residents.
By the early 70s, the company was beginning to wind down. Kormak officially came to an end when the mill closed in 1979.
Today only three original homes remain. One is occupied year round and the other two are only used seasonally.