Pine plantation at the mill site©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
Lumbering and milling began at the future site of Kiosk in the 1870s. After going though a number of of ownership changes, the site was abandoned in 1930. Things began to heat up again in 1935 after the mill at Fossmill was destroyed by fire. Sydney Staniforth, a former Vice President at the Fassett Lumber Company, negotiated for the timber limits and then formed the Staniforth Lumber Company in 1936. He hired a number of men from Fossmill and began rebuilding the mill.
In 1941 Kiosk was established as a small lumbering settlement within the Algonquin Park borders. By then the settlement included a store, and station, in addition to the boarding house, cookery and post office that were built a few years earlier.
The mill was highly successful and by the 1950s, the community added a Catholic church, French separate school, warehouses, recreation hall and outdoor rink. Power came from a small plant on the Amable-du-Fonds River. By 1961 the community had grown to over 350 residents, and a decade later to nearly 600 people.
Kiosk's fate was sealed in 1973 when the mill burnt down. In 1974, the provincial government laid down their master plan for Algonquin Park, which did not include the rebuilding of the mill. In fact, all residents were ordered to leave the town site no later than 1996. As soon as a building was vacated, the government was in there with the bulldozer. By 1992, the town site was completely vacant.
Today all that remains of the settlement is the ranger's cabin. The site is now an access point for Algonquin Park and is also used as a camping ground. The church was removed to a nearby farm just north of Kiosk outside the park boundaries.