Tombstone belonging to a five-year old child©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Inistioge was a small stopping place and milling community that was active from 1851 to 1971. At its height it boasted a couple of mills, a store, hotel, church, Orange Hall, and school. Its average population during the early days was about 100.
The community began to fade after a railway station was built in the neighbouring community of Proton Station, about two kilometres northwest.
There are very few remnants left of this early settlement. The entire east side of the village has been obliterated due to road alignments. Two schoolhouses still stand, now in use as private homes. A small pioneer cemetery and commemorative arch can be found along the west side of Highway 10 where the church once stood.