The power plant©Copyright: Yvan Charbonneau
High Falls, located in Sudbury District, was built by the International Nickel Company (INCO) around 1904 as a power site in order to provide additional hydro-electric power to the huge mining conglomerate.
In 1918 an additional station was added. Since the station now required additional manpower, the company built a small town site, containing 13 homes, to provide housing to the plant's labour force.
Amenities at the High Falls town site were extremely limited. The nearest school, post office, and railway station were all situated in Turbine, with only a narrow trail leading to the site. A small school was built in 1952 after the school in Turbine closed.
The town site was used until the late 1960s. By 1970 it was officially closed, although people continued to reside there until the 1980s. Most of the houses were offered to INCO employees or sold and removed from the site. The power plant itself still stands.