Weir's Gold Pines Camp ca. 1960Source: Private Collector, Pub. Canadian Post Card Co. Ltd.
Goldpines started around 1926 as a small tent camp and stopping place during the Red Lake gold rush. As the rush intensified, the small settlement offered welcome respite to the prospectors fighting their way across the rugged, untamed land.
Goldpines rose quickly. In almost no time it grew to include three stores, three restaurants, a hotel, barbershop, post office, bank and law office. Recreation could be found at the pool hall or tavern. The population fluctuated from 100 to 130 permanent residents, and about 100 transients.
Goldpines' fortunes sank almost as quickly as they rose after the Canadian National Railway (CN) added a rail link that bypassed the community completely. Luckily this first setback was only temporary and things began to rebound with the opening of more mines in the Patricia District. By 1938 an airstrip and airfield were added.
Goldpines' second moment of glory was very brief. After the start of World War II, a number of the smaller mines closed. A new highway diverted traffic away from Goldpines and once again abandonment set in. Today many of the old buildings are now part of a small tourist resort operating as Goldpines Camp.