An area view of Fryatt©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Fryatt was a small railway hamlet that began as a small whistle stop on the National Transcontinental Railway (NTR) around 1915. The NTR (later CN) was built by the federal government in order to fulfill a committment made to the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick, of providing a railway as a means of helping to colonize the northern reaches of those provinces.
The rich clay belts of northern Ontario and the presence of a railway, to provide easy means of shipping, were an instant attraction to farmers. By 1921 Fryatt had a store and railway station. Within a few short years it contained a post office, French-speaking separate school and a blacksmith shop.
Fryatt thrived until the late 1940s, when decline began to set in. By the end of the 1960s, the community was largely abandoned. Today, other than a few cellar holes, the area has reverted to farmland.