Essonville

Introduction

Christ Church

Christ Church, built in 1888

©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko

Essonville was a small farming community located in Haliburton County that was first settled in the 1870s. At its height it included a store, hotel, post office, school and church with a manse. An Orange Hall thrived until the early 1900s, when it was relocated to a larger centre.

The majority of Essonville's residents either farmed or worked in the nearby logging camps. Essonville offered very little in the way of commercial activity.

The post office and school lasted until the late 1960s. The church still stands. It's well maintained and has been designated as an historic site. Directly across from the church is the Pioneer Cemetery, which remains in use.

Created: November 29, 2010, Last revision: February 24, 2014
Research: Jeri Danyleyko
Content: © Copyright Jeri Danyleyko, all rights reserved.