The Curry farm and post office©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Esmonde was one of several small settlements that sprang up along the Opeongo Colonization Road during the mid 19th century. Built to service the lumber industry, it contained a number of farms along with a saw and shingle mill, a post office, a school and two churches, Anglican and Catholic. Esmonde was always a small place with a peak population of about 25.
After the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway (later Canada Atlantic Railway) was opened in 1893, traffic along the Opeongo fell silent. By then much of the area around Esmonde had been farmed out and the farmers moved on.
Although Esmonde no longer appears on the maps, it can be easily found by the presence of the large Roman Catholic church which continues to hold regular services. A community hall, located near the church, also remains in use.