The former schoolhouse, now a private home©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Eskdale, located in Bruce County, was a tiny settlement comprised of little else besides a post office and school. Its unusual name is Scottish in origin. The post office was located right on the township line between Bruce and Kincardine and it moved back and forth between townships several times during its existence.
Eskdale was settled in the early 1850s. By the mid 1850s an early log school, U.S.S. No. 3, Bruce and Kincardine, had been built on lot 11, Concession 1, on the southwest corner. In 1873 it was replaced with a frame school.
Eskdale was mainly a farming area and offered little in the way of shops or businesses. There was stage coach service three times a week between Tiverton and Eskdale.
With no other institutional buildings in the area, the school was also used for a variety of social and community events. It remained in use until 1965 and was later sold for private use.