The Mount Hope Methodist Church©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Epping was a tiny crossroads hamlet first settled around the 1850s. The town site was beautifuly situated on top of a hill overlooking the lushly fertile Beaver Valley with its rich patchwork of colours. A post office was established in 1858 in postmaster John Benson's home.
By the 1860s, Epping had acquired a school, store, shoemaker and a Methodist church. At its height it included two carpenters, a mason and a blacksmith. An Anglican church was added in the 1880.
Like many small farming hamlets, Epping began to decline in the early part of the 20th century. As transportation improved, people were able to travel to larger centres that were better able to accommodate their needs.
Today all that remains of Epping is the Mount Hope Methodist Church, which has been boarded up for years and the schoolhouse, which has been renovated and is now a private home. The remainder of the area has reverted back to farmland.