Former sawmill site©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Dalton Station began in 1884 as a small outpost for construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). After the railway was completed, the CPR built a small section village consisting of a three dwellings and bunkhouse for railway maintenance workers. There were no further plans for Dalton and the tiny settlement was left as is.
Fast forward to 1916 and the arrival of the Austin-Nicholson Lumber Company. The company had already established a mill in Nicholson and planned to open a second mil at nearby Dalton Mills in 1921. This called for the improvement of the much needed railway facilities in Dalton Station. A rail link to Dalton Mills was added, and Dalton sprang to life.
During the 1930s, Dalton grew to include a general store, company offices, bunkhouses, a school and Catholic church. A post office established under the name of Parma in 1925 was renamed Dalton Station.
Dalton Station thrived until 1949 when the mill at Dalton Mills burned down. Dalton Station gradually began shutting down in the mid 50s. The opening of an electrically powered sawmill in 1962 led to a brief revival that lasted until 1979, when it too closed.
Today a few original buildings can still be found in Dalton. The community is used seasonally by vacationers and contains a few newer cottages in addition to the older buildings.