This handsome home dates from Carnegie's heyday.©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Carnegie was a small postal hamlet started by Samuel Ewart in 1863. Ewart, who arrived in Canada seven years earlier, was likely growing tired of making semi-regular trips into Paisley to pick up his mail. The post office operated out of his log home.
A year after Ewart's arrival, a small log school, USS No. 6, Elderslie and Sullivan, was opened with Sam's son Archibald as one of the first teachers.
Other important settlers in the area included Thomas Clements, who helped establish the Clements Methodist Church in 1862. The church, which included a drive shed, lasted until 1893, when it closed following the union of Methodist churches in Canada.
Samuel Ewart passed away in 1870. The post office lasted another nine years until it was closed by his son, Thomas. Postal services were then transferred over to the post office in Gillies Hill.
Descendants of the Ewart family went on to play a large role in local politics for the next 70 years. Archibald Ewart served as reeve for two years. A number of years later his son Samuel also served as Reeve. Thomas' son, also named Samuel, served as township treasurer for an impressive 39 years.
Today all that remains of Carnegie is the schoolhouse and a few century homes. The schoolhouse was replaced in 1875 and then again in 1904, with a large, two-storey, brick schoolhouse. The school has been used as a private dwelling since the mid 1960s.