masthead image

Cameron Falls

Introduction

Town site photo

Alexander Falls generating station, ca. 1950s

Photo: Fisher

Cameron Falls was was a company town built by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario to develop a power site in Northwest Ontario.

The first power units were constructed during the 1920s. During this time hydro also built living accommodations for the permanent employees, who were stationed at the plant. The company town site included over two dozen homes, bunkhouses, and later a school, store, post office and small hospital. By the 1931, the town site had grown to include nearly 50 homes. Additional power units were constructed during the 1950s.

By the 1960s, technology had improved to the point where the power stations could be automated and monitored remotely. Ontario Hydro then began to downsize the site. Employees were given the option of purchasing their homes and relocating them elsewhere. Other buildings were auctioned off. Those that remained were demolished and by 1973 the town site was completely obliterated.