The Blairton Iron Mines in 1873Canadian Illustrated News, Vol.VII, No.7, Page 100
Blairton was an iron mining town that thrived during the 1860s. At its height it was a full service community that included two hotels, two stores, two butchers, a carpenter, clothier and shoemaker. The village also boasted a bank, school, and church. Housing came in the form of 40 company homes along with boarding houses for the singles. During those heady days, when the mine was in full swing, its population was listed at 500.
Unfortunately Blairton's prosperity didn't last long. The mine was beset by numerous problems including the bankruptcy of the parent company, economic downturns, and flooding.
Blairton struggled on for many years, under the optimistic belief that the company could eventually be revived and become profitable. Depite numerous reorganization attempts, and several different owners, it never happened. By 1993, the mine was effectively under the ownership of the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) and shortly after that ceased to exist.
The community continued to support a church and post office until the 1929, when they were both shut down for good.
Although most of the original town site has been flooded or dismanteled, Blairton has seen a revival of sorts. It now includes a number of newer homes and a trailer park which has operated for a number of years. All the original mining buildings have been demolished.