The Town Hall©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Arkwright was an important community in the early days of Bruce County's history. First settled in the 1850s, it gained prominence as both a supply centre and busy stopping place along the stage route.
At its height Arkwright boasted two hotels, two stores, a wagon shop, two blacksmiths and a physician. A sawmill was located close by. There was also a school and two Methodist churches that later merged. The church was on the same circuit as Mount Hope and Ebenezer. A post office that operated from 1857 to 1915 was located in one of the general stores.
Arkwright also served as the seat of township government for many years. The Township Council met regularly in the township hall and it was here where important decisions concerning taxes and bylaws were made.
Arkwright was a victim of declining rural population. Lack of a railway prevented it from attracting any major industries during the early days. With no industries or large businesses to sustain it, the hamlet gradually shut down.
Today Arkwright is a small rural backwater with a handful of residents. However it still contains a number of early structures and is well worth seeing. These include the hotel, town hall, schoolhouse and the church. All remain in use as private homes.