The Villages

Railway stations

The Grand Trunk Railway arrived along the shores of the St. Lawrence in the mid 1850s. Stations were built in Wales, Mille Roches, Farran's Point, Morrisburg and later Moulinette. Although the villages remained 'river communities' the railway offered considerable benefits when it came to transportation and played a vital role in the communities' history and development. In 1923 the Grand Trunk was absorbed by Canadian National Railways who continued to provide rail service until the demise of the villages. During construction of the Seaway 40 miles of C.N. track were relocated.