Masthead image
Canmore...2
Additionally, there is concern that neglect and vandalism will ultimately destroy the former mine property's remaining links to Canmore's historic mining past. Fortunately,
the main developer, Three Sisters Resorts, has in the past few years spent considerable financial and human resources to preserve and restore former mine structures and artifacts.
Although there are concerns remaining mine structures and artifacts have fallen victim to vandalism and neglect, there are ongoing measures taking place for their restoration and preservation.
Mine building and artifacts
© Johnnie Bachusky
Mine artifacts
Mine artifacts are still plentiful and visible on
the former mining property.
Old road with rail ties
This old road in a forest was once the site of the coal line for cars carrying coal from the mine. The old rail ties can still be seen.
©Johnnie Bachusky
© Johnnie Bachusky
The company also conducts school and public tours, and has also donated resources to annual reunions of former employees and their families. The company has also spent millions of dollars in the preservation of nearby wildlife corridors.
Canmore structures
The former mine's remaining lands are part of recently developed wildlife corridors to preserve the region's ecological integrity.
© Johnnie Bachusky
Old miner's grave

An old miners’ grave site in Canmore from the turn of the century. Canmore, founded in 1883 and now a booming resort town, was a coal mining community for more than 90 years before the mines closed forever in 1979.

Since 1999, there has been a growing push by the community to better restore and preserve the century old graveyard.

© Johnnie Bachusky